Niles Smiles Quintet
The Niles Smiles Quintet, is fresh from the members' individual recording projects and a successful 9 month resident gig at the Mark Timothy Gallery in Laguna Beach; now available for your venues, supper clubs, happy hours, private parties and events.
▪ Richard Niles, (Music Arranger/ Musical Director - Guitar / Vocals). Richard Niles’ credits as composer/arranger/producer include Paul McCartney, Ray Charles, Michael McDonald, James Brown, Kylie Minogue, Cher, Tina Turner, Mariah Carey, Joe Cocker, Lulu, The Troggs, Deniece Williams, Dusty Springfield, Pet Shop Boys, Cat Stevens, Grace Jones, Tears For Fears, Swing Out Sister and Leo Sayer. In jazz he's worked with Pat Metheny, Bob Mintzer, Martin Taylor, Bob James, Michel Legrand, Jane Monheit, The Yellowjackets, Billy Cobham, Silje Nergaard, John Patitucci, Jim Mullen, Janek Gwizdala, Nelson Rangell, Gwylim Simcock and Gary Husband. He has also produced acclaimed music documentaries for the BBC.
▪ Julia Suzanna Sokolowska (Keyboards, vocals) Award winning composer, arranger and multi-instrumentalist, working on many high profile TV shows including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Empire and Arsenio Hall Show. Other credits include Rod Stewart, Tommy LiPuma and Phil Ramone, she is a founder of Hollywood Arrangers.
▪ Garrett Wolfe - (Bass / Vocals) Garrett has played upright and electric bass with many artists including Art Blakey, Barbra Streisand, Billy Preston, Cal Tjader, Dave Grusin, Diane “Deedles” Schuur, Laurindo Almeida, Lee Ritenour, Michael Feinstein, Michael Hedges, Ravi Shankar and the Tucson Symphony Orchestra. He enjoys playing locally with Adam Kaplan and Richard Niles as the The Richard Niles Trio and looks forward to the expanded quintet.
▪ Adam Kaplan (Flute, alto flute, bass flute, saxophones, keyboards and percussion). Adam knows more jokes than everyone else ever will and his studies in jazz stem from Dick Grove's infamous Music Workshops in its jazz pop music heyday in Studio City, CA. He also makes his own unique percussion instruments such as the ‘Lascivious Lobster Pot’ and the ‘Wonderful Woodblock’. He performs regularly with Pi, Michael Ryan, and the Richard Niles Trio.
▪ Ron Knight (Drums / Vocals) - Having joined the entourage this past year in the Laguna Canyon gallery, Ron has played with Dave Pike, Leroy Vinnegar, Loyal McAvoy, Brazilian artists Sergio Dias and Luciano Alves (Os Mutantes), while also being an on air host with Sirius Radio in New York City in jazz and world music. He's enjoyed doing multiple broadcast soundtrack scores and studies with the late Harihar Rao (Ravi Shankar-George Harrison-Tom Scott), as well as Buddy Baker of Walt Disney Studios.
The Niles Smiles Quintet features classic jazz and blues, latin, and smooth funk pop. The band generally does two or three sets; open to resident gigs on weekly basis.
Special guest artists added on drop in basis, based upon availability.